Have a question that you need an answer to? Have a request? Check out the Contact Me tab above and I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Toric Lenses


Hey everyone !

If you can't tell, I'm trying to post more blogs today to compensate for the lack of blogs this past month. I have even neglected my personal blog to start posting here because they are on separate accounts ): Anyway, I'm going to be talking about toric lenses today. I'm sure many of you have heard the term toric lenses but you might be wondering what they are so stick around to find out!

Toric contact lenses are made of the same material as regular soft contact lenses. The difference, however, is that toric lenses have two prescriptions to them. This is because the lenses are created with curvatures at different angles - one to correct astigmatism and one for myopia or hyperopia. There is also a mechanism in the contact lens to keep the lens relatively stable on the eye when you blink or look around and because the lens cannot rotate on your eye, it gives you crisper vision. Getting properly fitted for toric lenses takes a lot more time than regular contacts and of course, is a lot pricier. Toric contact lenses can sell for up to double the price of regular contact lenses.

Keep in mind that this is just a quick overview of toric lenses and what they're like. I'm no expert in the field of toric lenses and am here to only give information that I've learned over some years.

* description of picture : Spherical lenses have the same power all around the lens, so it doesn't matter if the lens rotates on your eye. Toric lenses have two different powers in the lens, so they must remain in position for best visual acuity. Some toric lenses are heavier at the bottom to keep from rotating.

- oliviaa
twinklebeautyy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, I'd love to hear what you think!